Do you live in French-speaking Switzerland and would like to take the FIDE test to obtain your Permits B and C or Swiss naturalisation?
At French via Skype we offer personalised and dedicated FIDE preparation courses guaranteeing you 100% success!
What is the FIDE test?
The FIDE test is a certification also called language certification which allows immigrants to Switzerland to demonstrate their language level to apply for or renew residence permits B and C in Switzerland or naturalization.
FIDE is the acronym for “French, Italiano, Deutsch in Switzerland” and refers to the Swiss program for promoting linguistic integration.
Since January 2019, anyone wishing to renew their work permit or residence in Switzerland must demonstrate minimum proficiency in the local language.
If you live in French-speaking Switzerland as an expatriate, it is now essential that you have a certain mastery of the French language in order to facilitate your professional and social integration.
You will receive your language passport after passing the FIDE test.
What are the French levels required for the FIDE test?
The language levels of the FIDE test are defined in relation to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
The exam assesses the first three levels A1, A2 and B1.
For the chosen level, FIDE test examinee must be able to:
At level A1 (introductory level)
- make themselves understood in everyday situations, for example at work or at school.
- introduce themself and someonelse.
- answer basics and simple questions about themselves (identity, work, family, etc.)
- simply express their needs in usual situations using sentences prepared and practiced beforehand. (in store, in meetings, etc.)
At level A2 (intermediate level)
- understand simple questions and messages information associated with common themes (school, work, health or housing.)
- communicate in a daily context requiring simple and direct exchange of information with local government or public institutions on familiar topics.
- describe simply, their origin, training and professional experience, and talk about facts and personal experiences.
At level B1 (threshold level)
- understand the essential points of communications from the school, employer, property management company, authorities or family affairs, if clear standard language is used.
- manage in most situations encountered on a daily basis such as at home, at work or in public places.
- produce simple, coherent speech on familiar topics or areas of interest, and relate personal experiences.
- Can express, justify and explain their own opinions, goals, hopes and wishes.
The level of French for the FIDE exam required depends on your type of permit :
- For a B permit (work permit) A2 oral/A1 written
- For a C permit (residence permit) A2 oral/A1 written
- For a Citizenship B1 oral/A2 written
What is the content of the FIDE test?
The FIDE test, depending on the required level, is made up of two parts:
Speaking (duration: 20 min)
Introductory interview, interactive tasks (e.g. describing a photo)
Listening comprehension (duration: 20 min)
Short audio texts and comprehension questions.
Reading and writing (duration: 60 min)
With more or less authentic Swiss texts and comprehension questions (eg: true/false), filling out a form or writing a free production (eg: a brief email).
The different tasks concern various daily situations in Switzerland, such as work, doctor's appointments or visits to the municipality.
Who can take the FIDE test?
The FIDE test is aimed at people who immigrate to Switzerland and who do not have German, French or Italian as their mother tongue; and allows them to develop and demonstrate their skills in one of these three languages. Thus, mastery of a certain level of French in Romasdie applies to the whole family and the minimum recommended age to take the FIDE test is 16 years old.
What does the FIDE test cost?
The entire test costs CHF 250. The oral part costs CHF 170, and the written part CHF 120.
FIDE test preparation courses with French via Skype, how does it work?
At French via Skype, we offer private FIDE test preparation courses from level A1 to level B1.
Our FIDE test preparation lessons are delivered online via Skype, Zoom or Teams or on the platform of your choice covering all aspects of the French language in order to best support you in your objectives, whether it is applying for a residence permit or to obtain Swiss naturalization
Our language teaching is personalised, tailored to your specific needs and pace allowing you to achieve your goals more effectively than in a group or classroom setting.
- We will design a personalised study plan for you, based on your specific needs and your language level.
- We offer an effective preparation with tailored learning materials.
- During the course, we will work on written comprehension, written production and develop vocabulary and key expressions of the themes covered in the exam.
- For homework, we will assign you work to practice comprehension and written production as well as grammar exercises and vocabulary to learn if necessary. The assignments will then be prepared and reviewed by your tutor.
- We offer you great planning flexibility. Our French tutor is available all year, during the holidays and after work hours.
At French via Skype, we are pleased to support French FIDE students to guarantee their success and we have had the opportunity to teach many expatriates in order to help them in their learning of French, allowing them to better integrate into Swiss society.
Some testimonials from students who have prepared for the French FIDE test with us are below.
“ Laure helped me prepare for my Fide exam in a very short time (5 weeks).
I knew that this exam was coming up and that I had no choice but to take it, so I contacted her although I was not very motivated. Laure showed great patience and I immediately felt that she knew my profile well. She was able to motivate and encourage me while giving me hope that I would be able to pass this exam. Her method is based on simulation of a real exam situation, with real exam questions. She shared various useful tools to help prepare for the specific levels (A1 and A2). Laure not only helped me take the exam but she also makes sure that you apply the language in your daily life. Laure constantly supported me and I can never thank her enough for all the efforts she made to help me. I definitely recommend Laure to anyone who needs to take the Fide, and wish to learn in a supportive, positive environment.“
Consultant - Geneva
“ I undertook 3 months of lessons to prior my FIDE test with Laure and was amazed by how much my French improved over this time. From A1 level that I had more or less acquired with an app, I had to reach B1 for the test. I owe a great deal of gratitude to Laure without her focused preparation, insightful guidance, and structured lessons, I would not have done nearly as well with fide without her. Even after the test, I am continuing my lessons with Laure, I enjoy them so much, and I am so delighted to now be able to get by in French in any daily situation.I highly recommend her expertise to anyone aiming to pass the French FIDE test and to anyone interested in learning French regardless of their skill level. Merci beaucoup! ”
Supply chain officer - Geneva
At French via Skype, we specialize in preparation for the French FIDE test, you can certify your French language level well-equipped and with complete confidence.
If you would like to discuss your needs with us, we will be pleased to develop a teaching plan for you.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or if you would like to sign up for lessons.
À bientôt !